View Single Post
Old 10-21-2000, 12:17 AM   #25
Glorick the Half-Orc

I don't like the barb bec. the best armor they can wear is splint mail. My front line fighter needs to have really low ac. That, along with lack of specialization steered me clear of the barb. Wasn't worth the extra 18 HPs. A low level barb is absolutely a great char - would have been awesome for BG1.

I did make a 1/2 orc barb for fun, but since they can't specialize, I figured a pally or ranger was a better addition than a barb. I don't like the fatigue thing either.

As to the thief/fighter thing, if you were going to play just one char all the way through, that would be a good choice. Since direct assault is not an option with one or two chars, that backstab and the better attack rate of a higher level fighter would indeed be good. I will concede that point. But for a larger party (4 or more), I would go the other route. Also, while you are leveling in your fighter class, you would be absolutely useless (and you would need the NPCs). And your ONLY option is hiding and backstabbing. But if that's what you like, it does make sense. 19th fighter, 9th thief would do some NASTY damage. Only prob is you would HAVE to use the cloak of non-detection or you would be scried, thus you wouldn't be able to use the cloak of reflection... I'm actually a bit intrigued by the potential. Only a thief/fighter combo would be able to have any real chance of this game solo... But I foresee a LOT of restarts.