View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #95
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
My point exactly. It was also sickening to see the term "freedom of speech" being twisted after that. Freedom of speech is fine, but that shouldn't give anyone the right to insult someone or something over and over again and hide behind freedom of speech. You can find me an asshole, and that's fine with me, but keep calling me that, and sooner or later i'll scratch you off my christmascardlist, so to speak.

A few days after the murder, a muslim of Dutch origin spoke on TV about how he wouldn't mind if "something" would happen to Geert Wilders. He only hoped it wouldn't involve a muslim. That something didn't necessarily have to be an attempt of murder, but cancer would be an option too. Not a smart thing to say on TV of course, but suddenly there wasn't any freedom of speech anymore, the whole nation gone mad and the man in question is still undercover today.

So it's okay for Theo to call muslims 'geitenneukers', but it's not okay if a muslim wishes Wilders cancer. It's confusing the hell out of me, and i'm going for a jonge jenever now.
Bloody hell Johnny, I've never agreed with you this much!
You put your finger on what's been annoying the HECK out of me as well, the bleating about "free speech". It's become just a eufemism for the ignorant to excuse their blatantly racist waffle (ja, dat mot maar eens gezegd kenne worde!) but exactly as you say, God (or Allah [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) forbid if the *other* side chooses to exercise *their* right to free speech. Very well said all.
And enjoy your jajem, I'm off to bed now... need to get out of my ridiculous, deadline-induced sleeping pattern ~yawn~