View Single Post
Old 06-17-2001, 07:01 PM   #19
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hi ALL! - Thanks for the praise.

Yes it did take me a while to write this (but it has been something I have been thinking about for quite awhile now). (About 5 hours - when I posted I looked up and saw that it was 5 in the morning.)

Hmm, didn't know that Keldorn and Amoen work together after Amoen is Knighted - Good to know (thanks).

On the single-class Monk, this was the 1st char. I tried. I thought that you could dual-class to anything when I 1st played the game, so I was going to Monk-it and then dual to a mage. Ugggg, imagin my surprise when I realized he couldn't dual. The prob. is that early in the game he is to prone to being hit (i.e. he takes a lot of damage and needs healing which is the exact same problem with the Kensai - and the Kensai does a lot more damage with each hit using Katana's)

I did do the mageslayer route for about 5 minutes untill I learned he couldn't quaff a healing potion, what a pathetic waste of a class kit.

I have also used Assasins, frankly they are too tedious to use trying to manuever them for a backstab and often having a backstab that simply doesn't work on the monster (Also No magic ability at all, nevermind healing, though you could dual to a mage.) I guess the real question with 75-a-hit is how often do you hit?, will you be able to hit every monster?, will you always be able to postition yourself for a hit? BTW, forget the bow route - go with the cloak of mirrors and your +5 darts poisoned (devistating even to Kangaxx).

The inability to heal is a real limiting factor in the 1st half of the game. When you get the ring of Gaxx it really no longer becomes an issue (except for ressurection). There is a book of spells for non-mages to use, there should have also been a priest book that worked similarly, found earlier on in the game.

I prefer to squish (often literally) my opponents & shrug off hits - at all times during the game. As Sunder says: "you will mow down ANYTHING". By the end of the game with exp. point cap removed the Berserker/Cleric hits 4 times a turn with hit's on a Baalor like: 54,36,38,42 B4 the Baalor has a chance to TRY and hit you (and he will usually only hit you on a critical hit - i.e. you can drop him b4 he touches you). In the Elf City I droped the Stone Golem, the Clay Golem, and the Adamite Golem in under 10 realtime seconds w/out getting hit once.

Oh, and Sunder you should have gone to level 10 on the berserker. (I tried level 9 & level 10 - level 10 was better).

The Berserker/Cleric is also quite good with the Sling of Everhard +5 for those distance shots (he isn't just a melee player). I can often get close to 20 each hit early on in the game (using a +2 sling w/ +2 bullets) with using the Power of One spell to enhance strength and dexterity.

The last combination I'll prob. look into is an Archer kit ranger dualed to a mage (though a ranger really shouldn't be able to be dualed). (And no, I don't think this combination overall will be as good as a Berserker/Cleric.)