View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:
Masklinn, you do not qualify for replying here ! But I do have a special question for you : do you think that the "Asterix and Cléopâtre" movie really can be translated, by subtiles or dubbing ? I laughed my ass off at Jamel's pharaoh joke, but I can't see how the fun of it can be passed, as many of the other so very French humour in the movie.
/wave Moiraine [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is a good question. But think about The Monthy Phyton's movies for example, this is a good example of typical british humour, notice how the french subtitles are "arranged" for certain puns. There are some untranslatable stuff and the only way for you to get them 100% is to speak (or at least understand) the original language.

So yeah an english version of this movie will loose a good part of the fun during the dubbing/subtitling process. Some puns will be arranged to fit more.

The pharaoh's joke was pretty twisted too. How could you possibly translate that... [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Headlight-of-we ? Omg - LOL

Some other parts of the movie, like the kung-fu fight or Jamel's face expressions will still be funny for everyone...I hope [img]smile.gif[/img]

But remember Moiraine, le pharaon...c'est son appartenance
[/QUOTE]Hi Masklinn ! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I am happy to see you here, was afraid you had been scared away, and as so far you are the only other Frenchie here, I would hate that to happen ! Not that I don't like you as a person, though.

About the pharaoh joke, I really believe it would be much less funny subtitled - and I don't even think about dubbing *yuck* !

Also, Otis's speach to Panoramix would lack a lot without the special 'parisian' talking and accent (yes, yes, you DO have an accent in Paris, we say you are talking "pointu" ) ...

For the non-French people here, the "pharaoh" joke is at the very end of the movie - Jamel, who plays the Egyptian architect, is trying to seduce an Egyptian girl, and he tells her a very VERY lame joke, and she doesn't seem to understand it - what is funny is the clowny way he gets out of himself going on and on trying to explain that joke ... [img]smile.gif[/img]