View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #137
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Alright, I'm gonna make a quick appearance just to throw a couple of "truths" out there. First off, I don't think we have a good understanding of theory. I've seen both extremes here, from "guess" to "closest tot he truth in science." In actuallity, it is neither. The best established theories are Laws. These would be things like Newton's Laws and the Laws of thermodynamics. These are the best established "truths" in science, and while they still can't be considered absolutes, they're pretty dang good! Now a theory is somethjing that may someday become a law. It's not as well established, but still has a great deal of evidence supporting it. This has more or less been said, but I wanted to clarify it, for everyone. Therefore, referring to something in science as "just a theory" is not a very strong argument, but we should also not be referring to a theory as, (forgive the colloquialism), Gospel.
Sorry if that seemed like a bit of a rant, but it's one of my personal pet peeves.
All that being said, the discussion has really turned into one about evolution.
A friend of mine I've taken classes with has a Bachelor's degree in Biology and Chemistry, and he's been urging me to look into a website supporting creationism. I have serious doubts, but haven't really looked into it, yet. He's told me the gentlemen the website is based around is a multiple Phd holder and was one of the leading evolutionary theorists before.
As I said, this is all second hand so I can't endorse myself, but I find the ideas interesting. When I have time to look into it (after the MCAT), I'll check out the info myself and decide just how compelling I think it is. Here's the site: http://www.drdino.com/
You guys and gals take care!