Thread: The Stand
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 03:57 PM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I think The Stand is SK's best completed work to date. However, in it he is troubled by what I see as his biggest failure as a writer - he's not very good at closure. He writes a great 8-900 pages, then flobs it all, has no idea what to do, so trundles trash-can in for an anit-climax. He had the same problem with IT - which had terrible problems winding down a wonderfully set-up tale (an end which included a great World-Turtle, a Huge Spider shape, and the necessity of 12-year-olds to have sex w/ each other).

The TV mini-series movie you're talking about (Gary Sinese, right?) was a mediocre interpretation of the book - but did better than most SK movies. SK books should make much better movies than they do.

For the best SK, I'll take The Dark Tower Series. If all goes well, it will never suffer from SK's "closure" problem, as it will never end. Other than this series, I haven't read hardly any SK since I was in 10th-11th grade.

That said, I can't speak for Insomnia and other "newer" SK titles. However, there is no doubt that the Dark Tower series incorporates his "other worlds." ("There are other worlds than this" - who's freaked out by that statement?) SK has written before as to how he views many of his tales and interweaving holistic metaphors and characters together. There's a reason he uses the same names over and over (e.g. bad guys are always Flagg - see Eyes of the Dragon).