Old 05-08-2002, 02:34 PM   #116
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
I'm not an expert, but isn't it possible to delete inactive members (Who say, haven't posted for two months) to take some weight of the server?
That's a good idea - and of course it's possible to delete members, but I don't know if it would actually make a lot of room free on the server, and I don't know if it'd help with the bandwidth problem. But I did wonder why they aren't cleaned out every once in a while - is it just to be able to say there are nearly 8000 members? I mean, there are a LOT of accounts that may have asked a single question last year and never were seen again...
But like I said, I don't think this would help at all with the bandwidth.

I wouldn't mind a banner ad at all, and like Memnoch said, I think we can make it again like we did with the server. I mean, it's not like Ziroc needs unlimited amounts of money, right? So why not donate, all who are capable of it? I am sure we can reach the needed amount.
What I *am* opposed to are monthly donations, elitist systems, a division between those who pay and those that can't. Sorry, but if people can't see that this would create inequality, maybe they should think again. I already think it's ridiculous that people have to come out and say that they couldn't afford it - do you have any idea what that feels like?
But a one-time donation would be manageable for more people, PLUS it would be anonymous, without comparing who can pay the most etc.
I managed the donation for Ziroc's wedding gift as well, I'm sure I can manage another single donation.
But I am dead serious that I would not stay on a forum where people get privileges because they pay the owner. Hell, if I give Dan a nice big cheque, maybe he'll make me immune to being banned?
[/QUOTE][img]smile.gif[/img] .

Deleting Members that are inactive wouldn't do a thing but maybe free up 100kb (under a Megabyte). Each record is like 2kb.

Anyway, I have nuked over 500 users in March that haven't posted or logged on since Nov 2001. That was only 500 people too! I was expecting more. but we have already gained all those 'lost' member slots now and surpassed them! WOW! Quick!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album