View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil Lil:
A "small minority of the population" in a small town is pretty much everyone, even you know that.
I grew up in a small rural town surrounded by thickly wooded areas and I live in one right now so I know very well the "small town mentality" of everyone knowing who and where everyone else is as well as thier business even when they are in hiding in the woods (which from the looks of Rudoplh, he wasn't very often ).

So even if the full population wasn't "informed" as to Rudolph's whereabouts and movements, people there knew and they let him remain "in hiding" for years! That's downright shameful and as good as the capture of Rudoplh was, you shouldn't try to sell Murphy, NC as something its not.

Fanatical communities exist in the U.S., it is a fact that cannot be denied. The town I grew up in, although twice the size of Murphy was very much like it.

But even as fanatical as the town I grew up in was, they would have never stood in the street, waved rebel flags and refused to cooperate with authorities if one of their own had commited the type of crimes that Rudolph did. They have those events on tape and on record. You can't deny it.

At least the small town I live in now has an evolved population. People are allowed to be who they are so long as they aren't drug dealers, murdering terrorists or law breakers in general, no matter their religious or moral codes.
Listen to you two, comparing which small town is better!

Fair enough, you've made your point, Lil Lil - you don't like Murphy and I can't see you visiting it in the near future. I don't think there's a need to make Cerek feel like a lower life form for living there. As for you Cerek, if you're proud of your hometown, then don't worry if other people have a different opinion to you of it - they're entitled to think what they like, it's your opinion that should matter to you. A lot of people hate Sydney and Australia - that's their problem! Doesn't affect me, I'm still going to enjoy living here, I don't really give a stuff what they think.

Just don't want the tone of this thread deteriorating into a he-said/she-said kindergarten spat, that's all.

[ 06-02-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]