View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 11:03 AM   #228
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
That's what I thought - by the way, on a serious note, do you still have that recipe for mushy peas, or peas porridge or whatever, I think I have finally found the dried peas
I'm not sure why you added the smiley - have I missed something?

Sorry O/T

The peas should be the dried marrowfat ones. Place the peas in a large dish with plenty of room as they will expand when soaked. The peas need to be covered with two to three times their volume of boiling water. Add the steeping tablet that came with the peas or a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda if there are no tablets. This is important as the peas will not break down unless the bicarb is added. Cover and leave overnight.

The next day drain the peas and put them in a pan with enough fresh water to just cover them. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. The peas should break up nicely. Add a little water to the mixture to loosen the mushy peas to the consistency you like. Season only at the end, as if you do so before that the peas will be tough. Mushy peas freeze well.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show