View Single Post
Old 06-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Have you ever started writing a story, and let it take you to it's end? Let the story lead you? If you have, you know that sometimes the story finishes in a way that you didn't expect.

I finished the first chapter last week, and now have a pretty clear idea of the next few chapters, and even a clear understanding to where this whole thing can lead.

I haven't posted it because it didn't turn out pretty. I need at least another day to edit it, but the story as a whole turned into something that, while I am proud of it, I don't know how it will be received.

When I played Perin in PnP games, I always knew his backgroud, vaguely. He was a ranger, who was traumatized in his earlier life. A soldier who hates war, but fights because he knows that there must be an end to the tyranny. Jaded, bitter. He knows that fighting can break men, and whole groups of people. He knows that because he saw his own innocence stripped away, and watched other people become monsters.

I knew a man, once, who told me of his experiences in Viet-Nahm. They weren't the type of stories you heard about in the news, or watched on TV. They were the stories that people denied later.

When I finished the chapter, Perin is 17, and was no longer the innocent elf you liked. I'm not sure I like him anymore, but I know I respect him. I trust him. I know where he is heading.

Frank Norris, the many-times banned author said: "I don't fear; I don't apologize because in my heart that I never lied; I never truckled. I told the truth."

I found the truth in the story. I tried to re-write it this last week, but that would be wrong. It would be a lie, to Perin, and myself.

The only question is: Do you still want to read it? Should I post it, or keep it for my own site? (yes, I've finally decided to re-open the DawgPound) Either way, I won't be upset... If I DO post it here, it will be an edited version in the descripted violence, but the situations will still be the same, and may be disturbing.

Serious replies only, please.
Thanks...

The WriterDawg

------------------