Thread: Spiders!! Help!
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been seeing way too many spiders these days. This season alone, I have seen more spiders of significant size than I ever have in any given year. Some are in my house and some build adult-size webs outside near my car, and I swear I think they are trying to catch me!

The ones I frequently see are large black-red spiders that build huge webs at night, but take them down during the daytime. They appear black but with reddish highlights.

Another type that I see in the house are twice the size of what I just mentioned, and brown. They probably are about two inches long, or maybe three inches. They are fast as hell and scare the shit outta me.

================================================== ===

Now, I know that there are only two spiders in North Carolina that are poisonous...Black Widow, which have the distinctive hour-glass marking...and the brown recluse...a 1/2 inch dude that is tan-brown in color or sometimes darker. But what I learned today is that some new species are being introduced in our area, such as the "Brown Widow", a cousin of the black, but not from the United States originally, and not as poisonous, but still dangerous. I also saw a picture of a spider that was labelled "unidentified" by a guy in Lakeland Florida, where Ziroc lives...and was asking for help in identifying it. The dude had a picture of the spider that had caught a frog in its web. I have never imagined a spider that big anywhere near my state, and here it is...just a few states south of me. It could easily migrate if somebody moved out of Florida into NC to get away from the hurricanes.

================================================== =

Anyway, aside from all this chatter, I am wanting to ask...how do I get rid of these spiders in and around my home ? I had a bad experience as a toddler that has made me arachnaphobic. Snakes I can handle...but not big spiders.

Thanks for help.

[ 09-13-2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]