View Single Post
Old 06-16-2001, 02:12 PM   #33
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I understood that Bush actually got less overall votes in the election than Gore.
I could well be mistaken, but that was what I was led to believe.

As to global warming: well, it has been shown that carbon dioxide emissions *do* have an effect on the environment. Ok, so maybe, and I say *maybe* there are other factors but that does not mean no action should be taken. To use a rough analagy: smoking causes cancer, but its not the only carcinogen... so does that mean that smokings OK and we, as a global society, shouldn't try to reduce the number of people who smoke? Of course not.

Its interesting to note who global warming will have the most impact on: guess who? The citizens of the USA? I think not. Its the third world that has the most to lose from more chaotic weather patterns, but since when has US foreign policy cared for these people? One only has to look at the whole issue of the WTO and banana imports in Europe to see that the bottom line is US business and sod the poor.

Don't get me wrong, I am not "anti-american". I am, however, disgusted and appalled by a lot of post war US foreign policy, which is so self serving and hypocritical that I'm not surprised the US govt oppted out of the recent attempt to set up a world tribunal on war crimes. In all fairness, other govts are equally as culpable: you only have to witness the French secret service and the Rainbow Warrior or the littany of abuses and mistakes of my own govt.

However, as the self appointed and self styled "leader of the free world" and as the biggest consumer (and polluter) in the world, you Americans have to take action. At the moment Bush is seen as a joke in Europe, totally beholden to those who funded him.

Ach, I'm sick of this: people with a devil take the hind most, sod you I'm all right attitude.

Apologies. I know this rant may PO some people, and I know its not the most coherent post in this topic but this is something I care deeply about. I don't want my children to grow up in a world that is slowly disintegrating, with massive movements of refugees from desertified areas, the spread of deseases such as malaria and all the other peripheral effects that seem to be on the cards.

Enough already.

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!

[This message has been edited by Billikins the Bold (edited 06-16-2001).]