View Single Post
Old 05-30-2001, 09:16 PM   #1
kopema
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just bought IWD/HoW. ($65.00, ouch!) Seems ok so far, but when I found the caravan and went into the orc cave, I got killed a bunch of times before taking out the shaman; then I got killed a bunch more times at the end trying to take out the ogre. I finally gave up on that and proceeded to the expedition without completing the cave. In the process, I had deaths and had to restart over 15 times.

I have a balanced party: Fighter, Paladin, Fighter (will later dual to mage), Cleric, Thief and Bard. I had mostly level one characters and a few level two. I was at default difficulty, and not auto-maxed hit points. I had armor ranging from studded leather to splint mail and the best standard weapons for the character’s skills. I tried using scout/draw and bow combinations as
much as possible.

For me a game such as this is only “fun” if each time I die I can spot my mistake and tell what I should have done differently. Having to save and re-load repeatedly until I hit upon a combination that will work is not fun for me, it’s just aggravating.

Can somebody tell me where I screwed up here? Was there someone I should have spoken to who would have told me not to go in there until I was more ready? Is there some sort of tactic that I should have known ahead of time to use in this situation? At this level, should I just expect an occasional death and deal with it until I can afford to resurrect? Should I never leave home without a mage to help out with Web spells?

I have lowered the difficulty level a bit now, but that seems a bit cheesy. I think I may try doing the auto-max hit point option. I would like to play with fewer than six characters, so I may even reduce the difficulty a bit more.

If my only choice is either unchallenging combat or occasional random death, I think I might just chuck the game and read a book.
kopema is offline   Reply With Quote