Thread: I can't decide
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2001, 01:16 PM   #12
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I am not saying there is no such a thing as Programmer, but in college, they dont teach you how to make games. they introudce you to algorithms, object oriented programming, graphical design, net work, etc etc. to work in vedio game industry is something you must pick up at your own time. and i doubt one would enjoy working with pure programs so much.

I want to tell you this: there are three things i think you must consider. your own situation, your own interest, your carrer's future.

your own situation inculdes your limit and potentials. how far can you go in MBA? can you be a PH.D speech theropist? do you really have time to work on huge research project at physics lab (since you have two children)

your own interest, that is, what do you like to do. if you like to make vedio games, then start consult with ppl who work at vedio game company NOW. and once you found something you like, GO FOR IT.

last is your carrer plan's future: working on computer industry has a very very terrible disadvantage. you must constantly adjust yourself to the ever changing technology. if you dont learn, you will be ridded by the society, unlike lawers, economist, finance consultant. (those guys have an easier time)
also, when you already worked 10 years at computer industry, you might gain enough exprience to be manager something. thats when you lose your job, because most companies dont need so many managers. for the past ten years, there has been millions of computer science graduates, and by the time you worked ten years, ppl who can be qualified for supervising numbers like ants. can you take on the competetion? most companies dont need to hire you, you know? they can hire young graduates (who are energetic, and fast thinking) to do the job you did before, and you will not be garaunteed to have a better job. think of it carefully

the way out, is to open your own business, and be a boss yourself. or, you might need some skills other than computer-related. a MBA degree is ideal, but not easy. second major in ecnomics or finance would help

just my suggestions

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 08-24-2001).]