View Single Post
Old 03-25-2001, 06:03 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Well, I don't mind people gambling as such, but remember that gambling only exists because someone somewhere is making a huge profit out of it. So it is big business & it seems to me that poker machines strip money from people who are filled with hope of something better. You never come out a winner.

I also know someone who became addicted to gambling and attempted suicide after months of lying to his family & friends, stealing and losing everything on the horses (several years on he has managed to kick gambling, goes to GA regularly and has a happy life because his family stuck with him through the hard times - although there was no trust for a while, they have come out of it having gained some strength)

I also have another friend, who whenever we go into a bar spends an hour or more playing the fruit machines. This is really irritating and can ruin a night out. It's not a very social activity.

I'm not saying that the presence of gambling causes gambling addictions, but I do feel it preys on the desperate, making money out of other people's misery.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.