View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #285
Stratos
Vampire

Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dron_Cah View Post
I think most people would indeed include that. No matter how amazing something is, if we see it everyday we're not very likely to consider it miraculous. The earth having the perfect combination of atmosphere, sunlight, darkness, water, and land seems a good example to me. The chances of that occuring are (punnily) astronomical! But we don't generally consider that miraculous or astounding, as we've walked this earth since the beginning of our lives.
So, in short, I guess i disagree with you: the rarity of "miracles" would seem to be one of the components that makes them so miraculous. Just my opinion on the matter, though.
If the conditions were different, life either wouldn't be here or have a different form. I don't think you could conclude that the Earth was designed for us because it fits so well, when life could simply evolve to fit the Earths environment. Which in turn changed the environment, and so on.

Quote:
. . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!
- Douglas Adams