View Single Post
Old 11-07-2001, 12:54 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

I've seen a lot of people advocate both spells, as they both can be extremely powerful, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on which one may prove more useful for a SOLO mage/sorcerer. Obviously, PI would be better for a back in the ranks mage, who has a meat wall to protect him, but a solo mage does not usually have that luxury, especially at the beginning of a battle.

So here are my thoughts:

Simulacrum
PROS: Duplicates quick item and in use items, so horns, spell scrolls, can be used without losing the charge, can cast mage spells (at 60% of the caster's level and selection) without wasting the caster's memorized spells.
CONS: Only get to 60% of the caster's level ever, so higher level spells not available until late ToB.

Projected Image
PROS: Also duplicates the quick items and etc., casts all spells without removing from caster's memory.
CONS: Once PI is cast, the mage is immobile while the PI moves about. Unless one cheezes Mislead, This could make the caster very vulnerable in nearly any situation.

So the question is, do you sacrifice high level power (remember any scrolls can be placed in quickslots, so spells like Wish and Timestop could be used without actually using them) for mobility, or take the chance of getting killed while immobile? Obviously, casting Mislead then PI can result in decent safety, but I just want to know what people's opinions are on these two spells.