Thread: Thief Classes
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2001, 12:08 AM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thanks Thieldrim, I did quantify by saying those musicians I knew.
I've been thinking, and probably (a cautious probably) wouldn't mind if I personally had stuff of mine on Napster, as I enjoy having people hear my music. But I do know of those who hate the fact that 'fans' are stealing their songs. As I said before it's about the artist's volition. If they had no say in it going on it wrongs them.

Well may you say that Record co's lose more money, and in terms of real dollars you are right - they lose more.

In terms of a percentage of their income though, the artist loses more. How else does an artist get paid? The songwriter gets money if a song is plastered all over the radio and television, but it's not always the artist that writes the songs. Tours can lose money and - the cynic would say - exist purely to promote the record.

Re. Software, I heard Amiga's went out of buisiness because of Piracy. Am I wrong? It's a while since I heard that. Also software is more expensive to buy than music and can take longer to download than a single mp3. Besides, do two wrongs make a right?

Cds and games are probably too expensive, fine. The artist makes less on a disc than the record co. fine. Some artists may benefit from the limited and double edged 'exposure' of Napster downloading fame, granted. The fact remains though that when a product is made, the creators need to see a profit so they can eat, and so they can keep creating similar products efficiently.
If we ALL file swapped under the current system that would not happen and that would wrong the creators considerably.
For me not downloading is the lesser of two evils ie. either give money to 'greedy' record companies OR take away from the artist the 'scraps' the record co's give them.

Please note I'm not having a go at the odd download here and there if it means you're sampling the artist or game. But there are quite a few guys I know who, because they download, NEVER buy CDs. Ironically they're the ones who can afford to!

How would you feel if it were your ideas being stolen? Your 'children' of the mind?
As I said I'm in two minds about it for myself (if you can't beat them, join them), but have no hesitation in decrying it in principle, and asking more technologically sound minds to create a solution.

Mind you thinkers have had centuries to find a solution to the problem of an artist selling a painting for a pittance, and then watching it get resold for so much more.
Why in this day and age it can't be considered a permanent lease, with a fraction going back to the artist if it changes hands is beyond me.