View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 05:57 AM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
'Lo, all. I am pretty confident on how to read and interpret tabs, but I have encountered a couple of problems.

1) I encountered this while attempting to play "By the Way":

E------
B------
G------
D--10--
A---8--
E------

As you can see, It appears as if I have to play both strings at the same time. I find this fairly difficult because it produces a disjointed sound. Any tips? I suppose, with practice, it would become possible. However, "Under the Bridge" is much harder:

E------
B--3---
G------
D------
A--5---
E------

This appears much harder: the two strings are far apart yet I am supposed to play them at the same time. Is this the case? If so, any tips?

Its not too hard, just keep practising it.

2)On some tabs, there are symbols such as Am and h2p20. Are these chords?
as gammit stated Am is A minor, dont have a clue about h2p20 though, tabs can be unreliable.

3) How do you play a string that says 4/6? It defirs the laws of physics! You can't possibly play the string at two different frets at the same time with one strum... Or can you? There should be a code at the top of the tab, stating what these sort of things mean, it probably means slide, so from 4/6 thats what I would think, or else a hammer on.

4) How come guitarists can play songs really quickly? They seem to zoom through tabs, moving their fingers into precise locations and strumming the correct string without making any mistakes. I, for one, am constantly putting my fingers on the wrong fret and pausing halfway through a song to count how many frets down I should be and checking I have the correct string. Is it just practice that makes you learn it off by heart? Not to mention that some guitarists can dance, jump, and sing while not looking at their guitar and not make any mistakes.
Yes, as it has been stated, practice makes perfect. I for one learn every single song I play on guitar off by heart, it doesnt really take me to long, I just play through the songs a few times and I have it. I am also like Yorrick however, I dont usually play tabs, I can read music so it makes it a whole lot easier, although music looks harder than tab, I think its easier to figure out. Personal Preference though. Just keep on practicing, what Yorrick says is very true, when I make a mistake I usually can tell straight away, even if its the first time I've played the song, it just sticks out. Hope that helps
TIA.