Thread: Planar sphere
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2001, 04:49 AM   #7
Skunk
Banned User

My favorite trick with this kind of mage+fighters combination is to cast a Chaos spell on the lead mage FIRST. If you're fast enough (always works very well if your mage is wearing the 'Robe of Vecna), you'll disrupt all of their fighters - allowing you to concentrate on the mages.

On average, I'd say that 90% of fighters are always affected, and the mages are effected around 75% of the time. Opponent Mages can still cast spells when they are confused (my can't??) but when they do it is MUCH LESS often and more haphazard.

Once the Chaos spell has been cast, cast a breach spell to remove the mages major defences. Remember, with this tactic, ignore the fighters after the Chaos spell has taken hold and concentrate on the mages.

You might also try some pre-fight preparations like:
Strength of One
Chant
Haste (A MUST in a difficult battle)
Aid (priest)
Draw upon holy might (priest and/or innate)
Defensive harmony (priest)
Chaotic commands (if your opponent likes to use stun or confusion spells)
etc. etc.
These pre-fight spells significantly improve the odds!

If it is STILL too much for you, then you might try a ranged attack combo ie
Cast web into the area (while they are still in the blacked out area of the map). Do it around four times and then cast cloud kill into the area. Then wait until the spells have killed them or injured them before going to finish them off.

Once more though, if you don't have the Robe of Vecna, buy it from Deidre in the adventure mart (it's only about 16,000 GP when you have a reputation of 20) and it speeds up your mage casting by x4. It also sets your base armour rating to AC4 (the only robe that is actual armour too). Of course, you can only do this once you leave the sphere...

[This message has been edited by Skunk (edited 09-11-2001).]