View Single Post
Old 04-09-2001, 02:44 PM   #5
axel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm letting Windows manage my swap file and this has worked fine for me for several years. I have at least 10 GB free on C:, so my swap file should have plenty of room. W&W is installed on my D: drive, which has at least 15 GB free.

I've been in communication with Activision over the last week and the tech rep suggested removing all references to inactive video drivers in my registry. To do this, he said enter Safe Mode and go to the Device Manager, then all the devices you've ever used since the last clean installation of Windows will show up. I haven't done a clean install of Windows since 1995, so naturally I had *plenty* of inactive driver references. Well, I removed them all and nothing changed (not surprising since all those drivers were *inactive* anyway).

I'll try Saravec's suggestion of the Video Compression codecs, but I'm pretty sure that's already installed on my system. Besides, my problem occurs *outside* of town, not inside.

I know that at least Zardon and Todwest have the exact problem I do and it's certainly not worth re-installing Windows and DirectX 7.0 to get one silly game to work! Besides, there's plenty of case reports of people running this game successfully with DirectX 8.0.

I hope we figure this out because it looks like I'm missing out on a pretty good game!

Thanks,
Ritesh
axel is offline   Reply With Quote