View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #110
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Default Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Thanks, UK_John! Would you mind spelling out the steps for those who might come after you and who might not be as technically savvy as you are?
Well, to be honest, it's not that technical. Assuming you have a Win98 Operating system disk, you just download and install Virtual PC 2007 SP1 (just google it), you set ram and hard disk space (128mb I recommend and as big a space as you want, I had 3gb free so made a 1gb drive. Big enough for a few older games with their smaller size.

You then put the win98 CD in your drive and double click on the Virtual PC shortcut that's created A black box will open with some numbers, but don't worry. Just click on 'Actions' in the toolbar and click on 'Use Host CD-Rom (x (where 'x' is your CD-Rom letter), then click on File then Restart. Virtual PC will start again and this time you will see options that include Install Win98.

Initially Virtual PC will be set so you have to click inside the virtual screen to put your mouse inside the win98 screen. (to take the cursor out push Right Alt while you move the mouse 'outside' the screen). You can then click on the menu item, or click '1' or just hit Return. Windows 98 will install and stop at various points, just choose the obvious answers. After about three stops (one for the serial number to be entered) Win98 desktop will appear with a few icons. From there on in you need to know about Win98! Will just say right click options are similar, and I would go in and choose 1024x768.

Go to the menu bar (Right ALT and mouse move, remember!) and choose ACTION to make sure the CDROM is still 'attached' to the Virtual PC, put in your W&W CDand it should autoboot. If it doesn't, double click My Computer and choose 'Setup.exe'. Install will start and be just like on XP. Difference is it will take about 20 mins to install!

There is copious info on the web for using Win98, and it's not too different from XP/Vista. There is also lots of help and info within the Virtual PC. Feel free to experiment. And oh yes, on 'File' I think, there is an option to install additional's or something. Install it! One of the major things it does is allow drag and drop of files from your XP PC desktop to the Virtual PC desktop! So you can drag across a win98 compatible zip exe and run it, then drag and drop the various patches for W&W and run them within the Virtual PC after W&W is installed.

Hope this helps!
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote