View Single Post
Old 03-15-2001, 02:48 PM   #32
Melusine
Dracolisk

This is infuriating!!!!!! I can't get it right!!! Why won't it give the entire message!!!!!!
Melusine is, as I have told before numerous times on the board - sorry!, a mythological creature. Here's my free version of the story

Melusine is mentioned in a French legend as a mermaid with black wings and a serpent's tail. She was married to a French prince or duke called Raymond, who built her a castle called Lusignan (named after her). The sole condition which Melusine gave Raymond before the marriage was that he may never see her on Saturdays. They had a happy marriage and had many children, although some where deformed or monsters. On a certain Saturday, Raymond betrayed Melusine's trust by peering through her keyhole as she took a bath. Shocked, he saw that the lower part of her body had become that of a great serpent. Still, he kept his tongue because he loved her. But then, one of their monster children, Geoffroy, committed a cruel murder. In his rage, the prince blamed Melusine, calling her a vile serpent. With a wail, the mermaid fled the castle on raven wings. But sometimes at night, the maids of the castle said, she would return to feed her youngest children whom she missed dearly. It is said that whenever on of the descendants of the castle Lusignan dies, Melusine can still be seen flying around the castle, crying and wailing.

Epona: I like your current nick better than Morrigan, to me she always seems such a dark and broody goddess! She has a lot in common with the greek Hekate (which, incidentally, was one of my former nicks!) I love your choice of a Celtic deity, the mythology is so interesting!
Yorick, always loved that nick! When we studied Hamlet last year at school, we had a little project where small groups of students would act out a part of Hamlet. My group (four people) did the part where Hamlet visits his mother in her private room and accidentally kills Polonius. I played Gertrude and my boyfriend was Hamlet. Since everybody knew that we where a couple in real life, our group got very good critique, for all the implications of incest that we'd discussed earlier