View Single Post
Old 10-31-2000, 08:57 PM   #8
RPG-guy

W&W is buggy but still fun to play. With all the different roles you can assume you are always looking for that new level to reach to get some of those oh so appealing skills, traits and characteristics. And hats off to their level designers. So far the crypt, serpent dungeon, stout mines,(Well maybe the mines got to be a bit tedious),Shurgeon Castle, Boogres Hole, Dragon Spire, the woods are all wonderful places to play in. And I don't think I have ever heard better voice acting in a CRPG.

As far as M&M vs Wizardry, well Wizardry was the first CRPG I played(as well as the second) but M&M has a special place in my heart. M&M's even the poor ones ( are built in such a way that you just have to finish them. I never did finish Wiz 3 and Wiz 7 (computer crash 2/3 of the way through), but all M&M's have been played and conquered. In the Wizardry series (and W&W) the fun is in the role play, going up a level, getting a new stat, getting a better weapon. But most of the M&M's also seem to have a better story and the story seems more tied into the game play. And those M&M colors. Those guys at New World use a different palate than just about any other CRPG. Where eveyone else is into greens and browns, M&M uses orange and blues and pinks. The M&M colors feel like a fantasy world. Not to mention their lush musical scores.

M&M wasn't the first, full graphic CRPG (Bards Tale of which I also love) but it was far deeper than Bards Tale. However for me the Computer RPG's reached their nadir with Land of Lore ONE. And yes I know that LOL2 and LOL3 ruined a potentially great franchise. So while I will play W&W 2,3,4 and Wiz 8,9,10; My vote has to go to the M&M series.