View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #24
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:

Overall I don't disagree as strongly as the following rebuttal would seem to indicate, but I HATE it when people like this try to tell me how to parent,
True. Of course people must have some space when raising their children, but I do feel that when it they manage to prove that hitting children has longlasting negative physical and psychological consequences (even if this only applies on a limited number of children), steps must be taken to protect these kids. There are plenty of bad parents around, and there should be limits to the damage they can do to their children.

On another note, if anyone has an article proclaiming the benefits of spanking kids, feel free to post it here.
[/QUOTE]It's a dangerous thing to use broad legislation to protect a few, and it's impossible to legislate good parenting. At best such action is ineffectual, at worst it does real damage. If a tool can be correctly and appropriately applied by good parents, it's wrong to play social engineer and take it way... all the while hopeing that there won't be any negative social implecations.

I'd equally like to see real clinical studies that establish long term damage from parental spanking (not child abuse, there's already lots of legislation covering that).