View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I chose to use a Skald (Bard kit) as my first solo player. He has some fighting ability, some spells and can Identify any item on sight - which means he can use it right away.

I chose the Skald over the Bladesinger because I felt being +1 with ANY weapon was more beneficial than the temporary advantages of the offensive spin.

A fighter/mage/thief will cover all the skills needed but it will take you a bit longer to level up because your XP is divided among 3 classes. I would recommend just going with a fighter/mage myself. So far, I haven't encountered any seriously deadly traps for my bard (well, except for my quick jaunt through the first level of Watcher's Keep).

A fighter/mage will have much better combat ability than a bard and should have a better selection of spells also. The only real advantage the bard has over the fighter mage is their Lore - which allows them to identify unlimited items almost immediately.

Cleric/rangers are also a very powerful class and can cast "Detect Traps" to make up for the lack of having a thief to do that.

Good luck on your solo attempt. Let us know how it goes.