Thread: Chess
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

[img]tongue.gif[/img] No problem. The style that I play is more of 'this move looks good, why not put that piece there'. It sometimes works, and it sometimes doesn't... I usually play chess online, as in school there isn't much interest, so I always have a different opponent.

ADD]
Quote:
A good way to secure the centre of the board, and to protect pieces at the back at the same time, is to do what is called a 'pawn wall'. That is where you have pawns lined up diagonally one behind the other. This means that if he takes the first one, the one behind it can take him. To destroy your wall he would have to go round the back and take out your line of pawns one by one. However, this would be very difficult as your end would be heavily guarded by rooks, knights, bishops and a queen.
That's my problem. Taht's what I mean by being unable to move because of pawns blocking all of the obvious moves by the strgoner pieces.

Quote:
Secure a wall early on and it will greatly increase your chances of winning. And also, try to use your knights as much as possible. They have a unique movement pattern which helps a lot when you are trying to trap pieces.

I use my knights, just not that well. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Ah and another thing: The way I usually open a match is by moving one of the pawns on the end two spaces forward. That means I can bring out my rook who can do some serious damage early on before the opponent has had a chance to bring out any other pieces stronger than pawns.
I've looked at that a bit, and I really fail to see how it could be really that effective other than in certain circumstances (ie: Queen in front of King, etc.). Why use a Rook and not your Queen?

[ 05-22-2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!