Thread: Chess
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
A good way to secure the centre of the board, and to protect pieces at the back at the same time, is to do what is called a 'pawn wall'. That is where you have pawns lined up diagonally one behind the other. This means that if he takes the first one, the one behind it can take him. To destroy your wall he would have to go round the back and take out your line of pawns one by one. However, this would be very difficult as your end would be heavily guarded by rooks, knights, bishops and a queen.

Secure a wall early on and it will greatly increase your chances of winning. And also, try to use your knights as much as possible. They have a unique movement pattern which helps a lot when you are trying to trap pieces.

Oh and by the way, try not to use 'psychological' moves. If you are a very confident player versus a comparably weak player, then by all means go ahead and watch him sweat. However, if you are against someone better than you or someone of the same skill level as you, I wouldn't risk it. They just don't fall for those tricks.

Don't worry if you still can't win. No matter how many books you read and tips you get given, a chess master is made by experience. For some, this experience is gained faster than others.

Ah and another thing: The way I usually open a match is by moving one of the pawns on the end two spaces forward. That means I can bring out my rook who can do some serious damage early on before the opponent has had a chance to bring out any other pieces stronger than pawns.

Good luck!