View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #127
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Oh, and how did we get here?

Truth time: We (meaning our Congress/Leadership): (1) refuse to close corporate and individual tax loopholes that have no logical meaning and take away revenue; (2) cut minimally from crazy spending while acting like it's a real thing; (3) refuse to curb our trading deficit; (4) cow to the rich amongst us who have investments abroad; (5) refuse to regulate a vehemently out-of-control financial sector that sells watermelons while tossing them out a 41st floor window; (6) want to try to save this mess by cutting programs for the poor; (7) still, despite all the evidence otherwise, believe in trickle down voodoo economics; (8) refuse to cut crazy amounts of profligate military spending on wars we don't even care to win; (9) can't be bothered to actually enact a Stimulus that actually works to help our flagging economy; and (10) can't be bothered to care otherwise.

As a Canadian friend of mine put it, Congratulations to us on saving the economy by screwing the economy.
I concur. Their solution to the problem is "more of the same stuff that caused the problem in the first place". What is the old definition of insanity? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
The riches win. Period. All the rest of us suffer. We suffer horrible per-person debt, and a horrible unemployment rate. And no one will step up to do the things that will help us.
Strangely enough, I have managed to get into a better position during all this mess, for which I am grateful.

I could and would solve all our current problems if given the chance to do so; I could get a lot done in 4 years. Unfortunately, I suspect you wouldn't support me doing so.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote