View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 02:06 AM   #25
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well... first of all, just because someone wrote that list of names does not prove they existed. Can you give me undisputable proof of the existance of Seth? How about the existance of Adam? Did they find his skeleton? Was it missing that bone god used to create Eve? And for that matter, how can they prove Mary (if that's also her english name) didn't have sex? Wasn't she maried with her husand?

Just without considering all the inbreeding, do you have any idea how long it would take for two people to populate the earth? And that's without considering all the plagues, wars, and the great flood...

I don't doubt there are good life lessons to be found under all the sexist crap, and I don't doubt the bible is based on facts and real people, but there are some things that are simply impossible... The idea that some guy built a big boat and put a couple of every animals plus all the food necessary in it is one of those. There might have been a flood, there might have been lots of death, but sorry, I won't believe in a giant magical boat.

You know, you say it's obvious I am not Elvis. Well... to me, the existance of a giant boat, a guy able to seperate a river, or even an omnipotent all powerfull entity seem a lot less likely than me being a celebrity... How is it that you accept those things so easily? The fact that the different places and political figures in it really existed give no proof at all about the existance of a god. Just because an apostle talked about the king of some old city, does not mean his belief on an entity he never saw is founded.

Just look at the Raelians. They are basing their religion on a real setting, and alien life is statisticaly almost impossible not to exist. Do you believe in them, too?

Just as there is no real 100% sure evidence that I'm not Elvis, there is no evidence in the existance of god and all the "magical" things hapening int he bible.

You know, I have my own religious opinions, I'm not convinced there is no god, but I still find it very hard to accept all the "miracles" written about in the bible.