Thread: Dial up tech Q
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

My home PC's internet access is currently on a 56k dialup service. Lately something frustrating has been happening.
What happens is that the data being downloaded (whether d'ling email or web pages or files) stops. I have a counter that I can launch from the system tray, and it shows how much data is coming in and going out (that's how I discovered last year my PC was infected by a worm - the outgoing data was much higher than normal). There is still some bits/bytes going out, so I know the connection is still valid; it's the incoming data that stops.
So I have to disconnect/reconnect. Sometimes it works, sometimes the problem will repeat itself. There appears to be no pattern; the problem just strikes randomly.
While it's not a critical problem, it's downright irritating & frustrating. Especially when downloading email. When this happens, I have to download *all* the email from the POP server all over again. So you can imagine the time it takes, especially if someone has sent a 2MB or 3MB attachment (which my wife's friends are fond of doing).
I spoke to the tech support of the ISP. They said to check my modem, check my phone line, blah blah. I suspect it could be a problem on *their* end.

Could anyone suggest some possible causes for what I'm experiencing?