View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

Hello all! [img]smile.gif[/img]

My own computer was broken the past few months but today I came with the luminous idea to fix it using the Windows XP CD I had lying around. (yes, I know.. I should've come up with this earlier ). Anyways, it worked like a charm until I came to a certain point where the computer asked to install a new version over the old bugged version of Windows. I was hesitant, because I didn't know what would be removed (all my programs as well) so I chose to install a new copy. I thought that I might have the opportunity to do a system restore via that new installment as well, so I had two reasons not to install over the old copy. Stupid me, however, decided to install Windows XP on the same partition the old one was in.
Needless to say, my computer didn't like that move very much but I could boot to the fresh, new installment in the end, which, if I might add, is running smoothly right now -- *keeps fingers crossed*. Still, however, my (important) programs and documents are installed through that first installment. I can reach them, but they don't show in my All Programs folder in the Start menu, so I don't know how to fix that. On top of that, there's still the issue with the initial installment. I found out how to remove it, but I'm still anxious to do it because I don't know if it will remove all my important files.

So there's two questions to you computer whizzkids out there; what happens when I remove the broken WinXP installment (what happens to My Documents for instance) and how do I transfer all the programs to my new installment?

Goal: Beijing 2008