View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Impressions of TES V?

@Raistlin - How's that "put your weapon away to cast" thing treating you as a mage? I ran out of healing potions at the end of a dungeon and was forced to use some of the scrolls i'd picked up to get through the boss fight. First time i'd had anything to do with magic and i gotta say i'm really not looking forward to playing as a mage (which is traditionally the character i do the major play through as). No weapon while casting means no defence and when your spell fails, no offense. Oblivion actually got something right and they go and change it in Skyrim! Not that that was the major problem in this little escapade though...

I couldn't aim left or right after the scroll had charged, so i couldn't hit the bugger i was aiming at anyway because by then he was 3 feet to the side and coming fast! Further to that, what's with the overly zealous head movements while charging a spell! The view goes all over the place in 1st person, meaning that even if the bugger was standing still, by the time i've finished charging, i'm no longer aiming at what i was originally aiming at! The only way i was able to hit the boss with any spell i actually wanted to hit him with was by getting him to chase me back to a long, narrow corridor so i could land a quick shot with a fear spell and then following him around until he dead ended and stood completely still for 5 seconds so i could fire off a charged, ranged spell at point blank just so it couldn't ■■■■■■■ miss! And all that only knocked just enough health off him to be able to barely finish the job in melee with the one health potion i had!

Perhaps it's something to do with scrolls being tied to skills which are still very low with this character, or perhaps it's general teething problems getting used to the magic system after jumping in at the deep end instead of at the very start of a new magic oriented character, but i can't help but think that they've stuffed this up completely.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote