View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 12:50 AM   #5
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

G'Kar,
IMHO a lot of the reteric is positioning and postering in hopes of forceing the USA's opponents to backdown without the use of force. As of now no bombs have been dropped.
"Turn the other cheek" is something that christians (and others) have been strugling with for years. IMHO I see the teaching found in Matt. 5:39 (not attempting to be preachy) of turning the other cheek is about matters of indiviual actions. What to do if you are personally struck, although the principles may apply on the national level.(Boy I hope I got the right one of those "Principle" words, I can never remember if it is "iple" or "pal" )
It (the Bible, or Christ if you will) also teaches that "greater love has no man than to lay down his life for a friend".(John 15:13)
Christ drove the "money changers from the Temple with a whip or scourge of cords" (paraphised by me) a violent act in defense of someone else. In this case His Father or rather His Father's house. (John 2:13-25)
Christ healed the Roman Centurion's servant because of the Centurion's faith. The Centurion was a soldier, a military man. While the is no evidence from the Bible, history and common sense teaches us that you don't rise to the rank of "Centurion" without having been in battles, or violent if you will. (John 8:5-13)
Cornelius, a Centurion, (whom I believe to be the same Centurion as in the above pargraph) is converted to Christ by Peter. No where is it recorded that Cornelius was told that being a soldier, in the military, fighting in battle, or killing in war was something that he (Cornelius) must not do. (Acts 10-11:1-18)
In Romans 13:1-7 Paul states that let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities(Christians he was writing to). For rulers are not the cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. In 1Peter 2:13-20 Peter states submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to goveners as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those that do right. There is no distinction given as to whether the evil, or evil doers are foreign or domestic. (attacking armies, terrorist, or criminals)
All of these teachings work together, and it is left to the indiviual to decide for themselves if they will be a conscientious objector (pacifist) or a soldier.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"