View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Shaque Nova
Welcomed New User

Quite right, I should spill it all before I whine like a mule. Okay, every game I've played the entire party ascends to nearly every role, but because I've played the game only a few squillion times, I've found that a good balance of hacking ability and magic is essential. I've hardly seen many disciplines outside my own, but I like the Valkyrie, Zenmaster, Assassin, Barbarian, Warlock and Samurai combination best. I've read recently in this forum that another person has the exact same line-up, but his methods seem more refined than mine. Plus I don't know why I choose humans mainly. Maybe I'm subconsciously prejudiced against rodents and pachiderms.

As for magic, well, I don't really have a favorite because I usually like to hack 'n slash my way through a game, but if there was one, it would be something like the elemental blast or the spectral raven. I like magics that give a WHACK and a good nose bleed. I'm too afraid to use wide blasting magics in case I cook my own butt in the process. Healing spells are a godsend. I don't like using status effect spells unless it's 100% neccesary. Weakening spells take the fun out of fighting, but weapon enhancing spells and defensive spells come in handy.

About the snow glitch I got, on a snowy day on the first map (between Velaia and Ishad Nha), when I enter the buildings like the crypt or serpent temple, once I'm inside, the indoor graphics act strange as though it's still using the snow textures. The walls all turn white and movement is near impossible because all the objects are white too. This also screws up parts of Toad Village, the cave at River's End and other small structures. After searching around different forums, I eventually stumbled on a European bloggs site that mentioned it was a known ATI issue. When I read about it, I didn't bother trying to find a solution, I just figured it was my hard luck and I overcame the problem with my save/reload method.

About the "pick-a-pixel-you-stupid-cursor" problem, I reduced the game to 640 x 480 and 16 bit mode with software support, (gak!) it didn't seem to change a thing save for a larger cursor and fewer pixels to detect. If anything, I stand a better chance for an object to have several more million pixels to click on. My standard desktop is usually set to 1024 to 1200 depending on what applications I use and the game compatibility doesn't seem to make a difference, although on its first install, it was automatically set to Windows 95 mode. It seems to work fine in any mode. Go figure.

Last one, you wanted to know a wierd combination I tried? Man, I got so inventive I tried to make my party a group of human Valkyrie babes, once a group of Oompahz and even a party or rogues. I found the Valkyrie party was bloody hard to do and I never survived long enough to get any but I made them all Paladins, which kind of took away a few defences. The Oompahz pack I hardly found anything for them to equip until much later in the game, so I burned there too even though they made good fighters. The rogues would have worked if I made them all assassins, but I think only one of them can be. The rest I made ninjas, but the game got boring. The hardest game I ever played is when I had a mix of races and sexes and decided to make them monks. In the process, I stopped and thought, hey, I wonder how far I can go without equipping a thing? All I can say is that it was very hard but a lot of frantic fun. I recommend this challenge as it sometimes scares the pants off you. Those great big poison plants are an absolute bugger to overcome barehanded. Some areas were near impossible to pass so I died a lot.

Other bored avenues was to change the game's graphics and sounds. That was fun for a while, but only got annoying later. The last game I played, I used a roster editor and trainer and cheated my butt off. I turned into a wuss, it was so easy I spoiled the game and lost interest for a few months. Now I am here seeking redemption. Sorry again for the epic post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

----------------
This is a quick edition as I was posting this, Wyvern made a mention so I'm just gonna add:

You know it didn't even occur to me about wiggling with the smallest character? That's so dumb of me to forget that tactic because I recall reading about that here when I tried to go down some stairs in the crypt and up stairs in Shuragen Castle and got stuck both times. Thanx Wyvern. I completely forgot about the character's carriage.

The snow glitch happens rarely, but I will take a snap next time it happens. As for the pixel glitch, I meant a mesh glitch. It just seems that 50% of the mesh can be clicked on. Backface rendering of a selectible-by-cursor object can possibly cause every second polygon to cancel the other 50% out on some card/mouse combinations. It is way too much work to re-render all clickable objects in the game and not plausible if only a few card/mouse combinations have this glitch. I do quite a lot of 3D art and animation commercially and I have run into this problem once or twice. I personally believe that it's a rare problem unless all the mesh objects in W&W are backface rendered. This was never a problem with Windows 95/98/Me because objects were clickable as long as it hovered over a visable polygon. Since XP, objects use alpha blending which may conflict with the way objects are rendered. (Don't quote me on that last part because I can't be 100% sure on it.) Bugger, I gotta stop making one post so long-winded. [img]redface.gif[/img] Thanx again guys, you really are veritable fountains of info.

[ 01-07-2006, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Shaque Nova ]