View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 09:20 AM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Here's a little reality check for everyone - pretend you're all sitting around a table discussing whatever you're discussing, in real life - at a pub or something. I think you'll find that manners and communication will suddenly become a lot better from all concerned, whether you initiated an offensive topic, or found another topic offensive. In real life people seem to have this amazing talent for either agreeing to disagree, not arguing till the cows come home, and generally being able to self-moderate their discussions. It's amazing what the anonymity of the internet does to make people act in ways that they wouldn't do if they were face-to-face with others.

And if you act like an arrogant ass in real life, and you can't resolve your difference of opinion with another person in a rational, civilized manner, well, that's why they have bouncers at pubs, eh.

Just some food for thought.
So that's why I keep getting thrown out of pubs. Thanks for the headsup Memsy. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

*runs before the Genie-boy starts laying the smack down on him*

Erm...on the topic at hand(and so I dont get accused of [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] ing up Marks' thread...) I *do* believe that people seem to be becoming more and more thin-skinned. I see it constantly, on message boards, in the newspaper, in person...IMO people are just too damn namby-pamby lately. There seem to be people out there who's entire reason for living is to sit around and read the newspaper, watch tv, surf the net, etc, with the sole purpose of being offended. And then, when they (inevitably) *do* get offended, they sue someone, or start a hate mail campaign, or a website, or an 'action group'. BLARG!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mean, get a life folks...there's more to this existance than sitting around waiting for someone to poke you in the nose. The problem with that type of thinking is...if you continue to invite people to do it...eventually, someone will.

tosses [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] on the table and wanders out to watch the snow fall.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"