View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 06:13 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

It seems that as time goes by people are saying or doing things that are offensive and more and more people are offended.

The most glaring example, of course, is the Trent Lott debacle.
Many people were offended, but one person interviewed on ABC said he didn't think "racism" was a bad word.

Being offended is a very personal thing, though when many feel the same way it can grow into a movement.

Many times things have been posted here that are considered offensive.

Posting perceived "crimes" of Ronald Reagan.

Saying all Arabs are evil.

Dissenting opinions on whether God exists.

Posting quotes by "Famous Atheists".

Posting a poll about political parties which are exclusively American.

Saying George W. Bush is an idiot.

ETC.

Most threads are started here in the hope of finding others that share your views and to a lesser extent to find varying counter viewpoints that will help balance a persons own views. I don't think many people here set out to post to offend others.

I have felt offended many times in the past and have not handled it well here at times. Sometimes being offended is helpful...it builds character, perhaps.

But grandstanding at being offended to shore up a person's side of an argument is helpful to no one, if it is not fully truthful.

Your thoughts?

Mark

[Caveat: This is not a thread that points fingers at anyone. If anyone feels I am flaming them, I will say again, I mention no one by name. This a discussion not an Inquisition.]

[ 12-17-2002, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]