View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I enjoyed it too. I'm actually glad that some characters were redeemed or were discovered to have been good in the case of Snape. Kreacher was hateful because everyone treated him like crap, when people are nice, so is he. Kind of makes sense huh. I think it continues the complexity that she's always had in terms of few people are completely good or evil, there's no pat answers to things, etc. For instance, I really liked the fact that Voldemort was ultimately defeated by kind of an oversight or loophole type thing, not because Harry is the most powerful wizard there ever was, or that Voldemort was a cliched bumbling crook. And the Malfoys weren't really good actually, it wasn't the typical, oh yeah, they have hearts of gold too, like so often is the case, it was more just when the crunch came, all they cared about was their son and weren't willing to sacrifice him.

There were a couple of things I was confused about, like one second Neville is on fire and immobile, and the next he's just not and kills the snake? What happened there? Although I have to say I liked the fact that the final castle scenes were kind of chaotic and a bit rushed almost - which it would have been for the characters too.

I liked that the dead characters like Dumbledore and Sirius stayed dead and there was no magical reprieve from them. I have to say I was expecting a bit more of a bloodbath - at least one of Ron or Hermione or something. And when I first finished the last chapter (which didn't end in scar, despite all reports to that effect ), I thought it was all a bit neat with the next generation scampering about. But at the same time I was glad in my girly little heart that Harry didn't die - she managed to resolve everything in a way that wasn't cheap and yet wasn't the deus ex machina type thing (like Frodo and Sam being rescued off Mt Doom) that is never satisfying.