View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #30
Roboghost
Manshoon

STR...hmmm...

Lots of good points, but for those that vote for a 15 for druid strength:
At least get it to 16 for a +1 Damage with the 'ol sling -- especially if dropping the INT down to 6 or less [I don't like to lose those 10 lore points when the INT goes below 7...not that you need them, but it's a rollplaying thing for me. Of course, my bard is my CHA champ (18)!] 16 STR gives more carrying weight as well -- my F/D will be at 98 pounds of gear sometime during my castle exploration {hee, hee, hee}...well...my STR will be at 19 at this time too if I follow through on my item plan [I pick my "random" items - reward for my troubles - thank you very much.]

I see HoF as building characters that need every advantage they can get -- sure the beasts have high hitpoints, but I've had my butt saved just-in-the-nick-of-time by that one last rock. You're at the end of battle and your spells are down to zip and your fighters are near death. That last sling stone could save you or (see below) move the fighters out and let the healthy F/D step in to finish the fight.

Strategy [example only -- you all probably can beat me, but this is only an exercise]:
My party previously mentioned (slightly modified due to items and better WIS for my front F/C):

1st} Gnome Fighter 18/00 18 18 10 10 10 {18/00...strange for this guy}
1st} Dwarf Fighter/Cleric (G) 18/00 17 19 9 18 8
2nd} Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric* (G) 18/00 18 18 10 18 10
2nd} Half-Elf Fighter/Druid 18/81 18 18 7 18 15
3rd} Elf Mage/Thief 18 19 16 18 10 10
3rd} Half-Elf Bard 14 18 16 18 13 18
*an easy character to roll for -- so an 18/00 is a synch.

Say the 1st rank is about dead and your 2nd rank is just about out of spells. Now, simply move the 2nd rank to the front and the 1st rank can go missile [not to mention the F/C should have some spells to use to keep the 2nd rank going to finish the fight (buffs and heals).] Notice that the 1st rank is resistant to magic {a Paladin is an easy replacement for the Dwarf F/C - and a good one -, but just want to do the Dwarf for a change.) Also, since I don't have a dedicated archer, I'll need that pure fighter to be a rockin' axe tosser until the time is right to jump into the melee.

Edited: My final roll numbers - 18/00s' "fairly easy" for the fighter and C/R (due to C/R's many stats already bumped-up minimums.) My F/C was a "miracle".

[ 04-19-2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Roboghost ]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote