Thread: new kit contest
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2001, 02:26 AM   #27
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

rather than a STR penalty i was thinking of just capping it at 17. stats minimums work a crappy way in this game. whatever the mins are are automatically filled in, so every stat that has a min raises the avg of the total, which is why a paladin will avg far higher than a standard fighter w/o the difficulty of actually trying to roll to meet the mins. somewhere there's a hard code for how WIS affects spell failure. id like to implement that if i could and just not have any minimum stats. as im discovering most of the stuff id like to do just isnt possible without the source code (id love to make a high CHA improve the chances of a charm spell working).

technically this will be a priest subclass who have the 2nd best THAC0 behind fighters but dont get the multiple attacks later on. ive already decided that everything this character would need will be ability based so he will be able to use exactly one magic item, which is a staff that he makes himself (gets more powerful as he levels).

as far as his abilities go, im looking at what my current character has right now and he is immune to charm/confusion/hold via shield of harmony, free action ring, 50% resistance to acid and fire, etc. i dont think itd be unbalanced to give the psimonk immunity to the entire school of enchantment/charm at name level, say 10th, considering that is his forte. and you're right; theres no way to alter saves vs specific schools or specific spells, only resist completely.