View Single Post
Old 09-13-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Spellcasters are, in general, weak in BG1, especially Mages. You begin to start thinking, "Gee, I wish I had a Mage, so I could cast....." at around Chapter 4 or so. Before that, your best best is 4 Fighters, a Priest, and a Thief. So, you could make a Brawling-style party until you're around Level 5 or so, then go pick up one (or more) of the Mages, who will be at approximately your level, so you can use the good spells right away. Or, you could take Imoen, get her to 100% in Traps as quickly as you can, run around and do all the Trap-heavy areas, and then Dual her, safe in the knowledge that by the time you need to disarm Traps again, she'll have her Theif half back.

Yes, Mage/Thieves have poor hitpoints, but not as poor as straight Mages! And their hitpoints and AC become irrelevant, especially in BG2, where a Wizard's defensive spells can make him invincible. (Protection from Magic Weapons, anyone?)