View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #46
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Ground Zero mosque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
As pointed out earlier, the word "Islam" means "submission", not peace. I suppose it does cognate (share etymological origins) with "shalom", but that doesn't mean they have the same meaning.
I'm sure it's your position to tell him what the word "Islam" means. Pretty pretentious.

Quote:
As for Cordoba, Spain (the admitted inspiration for the "Cordoba House"), it is represents the site of a major Muslim victory over the natives and their established religion. The Muslims did NOT promote coexistence there, they destroyed the Cordoba existing temple and built a mosque on top of the ruins. I suppose that is the "cultural enrichment" Rauf is referring to that the Muslims brought to the area.

It was argued on Oasis that the name was chosen specifically because it represents a great Muslim victory and the new "cultural center" will be viewed the same - as a major Muslim victory over the infidels in America.
Sounds like 2 parts fear-mongered prejudice mixed with 1 part sour grapes and 3 parts revisionist history with a dash of over-reaching and hyperbole thrown in. And, again, thanks for having the audacity to tell him what the name for his center means. I would think he gets to define it, not you. What's worse about this is it's not even your own idea, just regurgitated Faux News bullshit.

As for that other site, why reference it here? I felt so compelled to leave there that I didn't just go away but rather deleted and removed my ability to post there. Ideas imported from there by reference won't get read by me and have no meaning to me. There are certain people there who bothered me so much that I, someone who can talk to about anyone, felt the need to leave. So, please don't rely on those references when talking to me. I don't want to trash any websites, but this keeps coming up.