View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 01:00 PM   #25
hagimihale
Manshoon

I think this answer depends on what class & alignment your main character is. I'm currently using a Neutral Good Sorcerer with Minsc, Anomen (having passed his test, he's becoming more powerful and may be worthwhile keeping), Jahiera, Jan and Viconia. Will be swapping out Viconia with Nalia and then other NPCs go to through the quests before deciding on who to keep in that 6th slot permanently. Thinking of adding another tank and Mazzy, Valyar or Keldorn may win out.

1. If using a mage, I think you need at least 2 tanks in there: Minsc, Anomen, Mazzy, Valygar and/or Keldorn would all work. If an evil alignment, substitute Korgan of course. If your character is a fighter type, you may only need 1 tank and can keep that other spot open.

2. Unless your protaganist is a thief, I would recommend at least 1 of them: preferably Jan or Yoshi. Nalia has SOME thieving skills (I think she dual-classed to mage at level 4), as does Imoen. Personally I think Jan is the most balanced of the bunch for SoA (and the most interesting from a personality perspective) Jan, Nalia and Imoen give you mage skills as well, while Yoshi's main benefit (from what I can gather) is his ability to set traps and snares.

3. This leaves you two or three open slots for magic use. I think at least 1 cleric is called for, although Jahiera may suffice as a druid. I'm not as high on Aerie as some (although I admit she IS adorable) as her mediocre intelligence and wisdom limits the # of spells she can learn, but she IS a very versatile character. I've never used Edwin but his high # of spells is well known and he would seem to be a great match if your character is a Neutral or Evil Fighter or Thief subclass.

Between the 6 characters I think its best if you have 3 who have spell capabilities, 2 who can be used as tanks and 2 who are skilled at ranged weapons. Note that some of them (Jan for instance) may cover more than one of these areas.

My next run through the game will probably be played as a Paladin, meaning that spell capability will be a premium. Aerie, Jan and Nalia will probably be in the party. Anomen may also make the grade. Jahiera, Mazzy, Valygar and Minsc will battle it out for that last spot.

Sorry for the length here, but this post is one that I am constantly thinking about myself. The various combinations (and how the NPCs interact) is very intriguing, and although I am nowhere near the end of the game I am already looking forward to my 2nd (and 3rd - with an evil party) try. Hope this helps!