View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hehe sorry TL, the Haute Route requires at least 12 days (we did 2 days' walk in one day once to get it down to 11 - was an 11 hour walking day though so not recommended). We have some hopeful plans for the future that maybe one day we'll actually go to the peak of Mont Blanc. I've talked to a lot of people about it in Chamonix etc. and apparently all you need is basic training in the use of an ice-axe and crampons - some people suggest having a guide but apparently there are enough people doing it in good weather that you can just follow them. The peak of Mont Blanc is unique among mountains of its height (around 4800m) in that you don't need to be a climber to get up there.
Just try to NOT be one of the dozen or so people Mont Blanc kills annually, okay? And don't forget to take along a copy of Shelley's poem to remind you that it is nature in its most raw form. Of course, gloating over the fact that Shelley only *looked* at the mountain and did not climb it would be nice too. Of course he died while boating by the time he was my age, so I'm one-up on him already I guess.