View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #29
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
So Estonia's conservative - I think that's the word you're looking for? Well it's kinda good, cos nowadays there's so few conservative people left, that actually, conservative is special, heh.

In Hungary, most of the young people are fashion-freaks, they've always gotta look trendy and they wear/do the craziest things. In contrast, the older people who grew up in Communism tend to be quite conservative.
Yes, that's the word!

I think that having a conservative country has it's bad side as well - It makes the people feel less at home while staying at other countries and gives us the "No, we're not weird, *you* are!" opinion. [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

But I believe that within the borders of the country, it is a good thing. While it makes the people less eager to express themselves, IMHO, it more or less rather filters out the things that shouldn't be expressed(offensive images, words, etc.).

It is possible that the times are changing. Yeah, one of the main reasons why Estonia is so conservative is that it was not until recently, in 1991, that Estonia regained it's freedom from the Soviet Union, and the Estonian economy was in a negative position in the first half of the 1990-s. I guess I'll find out whether or not the country will become more 'global' when I'll become a grumpy old man.