Thread: Re Jokes
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

[quote]Originally posted by Arvon:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Your own Cloudy's Cafe is a good example why a single joke thread won't work. I never go there because that thread gets so long it is impossible to follow a single conversation (or sub thread). I'm far too lazy to chase down responses to an input.

As far as getting a response such as "LOL" is of little import to me. I do like response to find out if a style or subject is of interest. But, as I have done here, 'quotes' cause the size of a thread to get out of hand. But without the quote or some reference it is impossible to follow what writer is talking about. Nah! the best solution is a limit on material and eliminate the Add-A-Caption all together. Hope this meet everyones expectations. Oh I will post like the pii the cat thing when it works.
ROTFL! Then you completely missed the point of the Cafe, Arvon! It's not a running dialogue on ONE topic or a series of topics rigidly followed! It's a CAFE...you might walk into a real cafe and hear bits of a conversation you find interesting and you might respond or become involved, but then your friend comes in and you go start a new conversation with him, then someone stops by your table and you have a nice chat with her before you leave for work or the dentist etc..... When you come back, there are all new conversations going on and you don't ask everyone there to summarize what they've been doing for several hours! You start in fresh OR you might even bring up a topic you were interested in from the morning when you were there....it's a very easy going and friendly atmosphere.

Plainly put, you respond to what's there when you join the thread. There is NO reason you have to read a hundred posts to 'catch up' since more than likely you'd find a whole new topic under discussion at the end and most days there are 2, 3 or 4 discussions going on at the same time! Most of us just read back a page and join in or start our own topic that we wish to discuss!

A general joke thread flows in much the same way. And between us, I'm far to busy to post a dozen or more 'haha, funny joke' comments when you post multiple joke threads!

I'm confused here, Arvon. From the way you always balk at the idea of a single thread and the reasons you give, it just sounds like you want dozens of replies and discussion/feedback on each and every joke in the order you post the jokes so you hate the more relaxed, longer threads. Is that how you feel or am I missing something? Because if it IS, please note that there are few threads that stay totally focused on feedback to the original author alone! Joke threads go on tangents and usually there are not that many replies for all the reasons already mentioned above! If you keep expecting more positive replies than you've been getting, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate what it is you're looking for and where you might find it, because it's just not going to happen in joke threads! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-23-2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]