View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 04:16 PM   #40
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I sincerely doubt that a lack of physical punishment of children is responsible for the mess the planet is in.

One could make as strong an argument for why people are messed up BY spanking as why they are kept on the right path by it. It depends on the kid, the parents, and many other variables.
I half agree with you on this one, but IMO it is more a lack of guidence than anything else, when I was in school, if we brought a gun or knife to school, we would get a paddling by the principal, then by our parents, but now the kids are doing it without fear of conciqunces of their actions, I am not saying go back to beating a child, but there should be some limit to putting a stop to children getting away with these things now, in the older days, before my time, kids brought knives to school, and as far as I know, never used them for anything more than open a bottle of soda. now kids know how to use weapons, and what they are for, perhaps it has something to do with what they watch everyday on TV..but I doubt it, I think it is more a lack of focus and guidence of right and wrong [/QUOTE]Yes. But lack of guidance and lack of spanking are two different things. I agree that, for example, bringing guns and knives to school is bad, but it is possible to put limits on that without spanking/paddling. I don't contest the fact that more guidance is necessary, but spanking will probably not solve the problem. It's more about attitude (parental and children's) than anything else. If we were to go back to paddling those that bring guns to school, it's likely the next time the kid would blow away the principal in retaliation. That said, it's a bad problem; I'm lucky to live in a place where guns aren't too accessible.