View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002, 05:56 PM   #63
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
First of all just because some people practise Celibacy does not mean that is something good. It goes against human nature to do this, the only way to get people to successfully follow this is to scare or find another way of making them do it, to this end we are told how “the world would be a better place” if we do or that we will go to hell if we don’t.
If 2 or more people of consenting people wish to have sex, and they are of legal age, why should we stop them?
Against human nature? A lot of things go against human nature, and human nature is constantly changing so maybe Celibacy is an optional branch.
Human nature is not stiff and unbending, otherwise it would be extinct, and if you mean it goes against basic survival instinct, I agree, but a lot of things do that we have done.

Quote:
That's what I said the purpose of sex in itself was. Although it evolved for reproduction, we humans use it to cement social relationships.
Evolved for reproduction?? It is reproduction, that sounds like youtr saying that at first sex was just done until it adapted and suddenly babies were magically born.
Cement social relationships? Are you sure?? Maybe it only feels that way because your genes make you feel that way, in fact this is highly likely as if there was no seeming pleasure in sex or sexual stimulation our race would be doomed.

Quote:
Secular (civil service) marriage is better, that way it is removed from the ideological entwinements of religion.
And many churches church’s championing of marriage is blatant hypocracy when many will not support re-marrying divorcees or same sex marriages.
It isn't hypocrisy because they believe that it is impossible to take life long vows more than once, which is exactly what you do in a wedding, no, in fact they believe it is eternal vows.
I'm all for same sex marriages if they want them, but I'm not a christian so it is their practice, not mine.

Quote:
Let me tell you that not using a condom is asking for it.
Not if they practice monogamy, which, surprise surprise, they do.

Quote:
You can get many STD’s not just though sex but also from other activities and contacts, you cannot ever be sure. But safe sex such as a condom can help to prevent this.
I’ve seen people dieing of AIDs and/or the related infections caused by weakening of the immune system, It’s not a pretty sight and you cannot expect monogamy to prevent this nor can you expect all people to be monogamous, the best way of preventing this is safe sex, like condoms. To reject a condom because “It's faux sex.” is pure selfishness.
Uuuumm, no you can only get STD's by infected blood getting into someone elses blood stream, or through sexual activity.
You can't exactly get it from hugging people.
You're correct that you can't expect everyone to be monogamous, that's fairly obvious since not everyone is catholic or monogamous for other reasons, but yes, if both partners have followed Catholic rules, they can be sure of not catching STD's, condom or no.

Quote:
Your argument also rests on the deontological idea that god exists and you must do what he says in the matters of sexual intercourse.
You cannot prove that god exists therefore your argument rests purely on the notion “of what god wants” even if a god did exist, you cannot claim to be able to reasonably interpret what it wants or even what it thinks.
Yes, well he can't prove God exists, you can't prove he doesn't, but Yorick's allowed to choose to believe that God does, and if that is what they believe, they will believe it, regardless of how much you tell them they can't prove it.

Quote:
Sex is not innately special, to some people it is and they will only share it with someone who they dearly love. But to others it is fun and they wish to have as much fun as possible. Whether and/or how special sex is or not is a purely SUBJECTIVE view.
Ultimately it is his or her choice, and who is anyone to infringe upon that choice by telling them that it "bad" for them to have sex before marriage or something like that?
Well, if these people are Catholic, then they wouldn't do it in the first place, and if they aren't then that has nothing to do with the Catholic argument.