View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Decrypting Save Game Files

That is not so hard, any spreadsheet program can create a file that will show exactly where to make the changes. Simply input where the record starts and a formula will tell you exactly where the relevant change is to be made.

In the left column of an Excel spreadsheet I have the numbers from the entries found in the post I made on 28 December:
"Place 01: PC now in party?
Place 05: marching order, 0 to 5
Places 09 thru 24: name
Place 10,140: start of previous classes listings
Place 10,177: start of bank account balance, seems to be the same for all three towns."

The next three columns turn the the absolute numbers: "1,5,9 ...... 10,140 10,177" into relative numbers as found in the individual save file.

An editor program would be useful, but first we would need to figure out where the records occur in the save file, what scheme determines where each record starts?

Edit:
As for a standard W&W editor that operates directly on a save game file: so far I have not found the formula that dictates where each of the first two sets of records start. The location of the start of the third set of records is known: (length of file) minus (number of PCs*10,766).

One solution is to find a string at the start of the first PC’s listing in the third set of records, hopefully this will only occur twice elsewhere in the save file, in the same place in the other two sets. If you find this string elsewhere in the save file, you will hopefully find where the first two sets of records start, thus you won’t need the formula after all. It is not enough to only use the PC’s name, this will occur all over the save file.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 02-22-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote