View Single Post
Old 04-01-2001, 06:49 AM   #41
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
May as well call it Gremany. Nobody lives in a place the locals call either Gremany or Germany so what difference does it make. Hell, why didn't we keep calling it Holy Roman Empire? Deutschland would be too easy wouldn't it.

Yorick, you've hit on one of my pet hates there! I hate that place names get 'anglicized' or even completely changed in English to something different than the name the locals call a place. I realise that place names have and will probably continue to change as people move, languages change, cultures change etc. these things are always dynamic. But I think it is better to use as a standard name whatever the 'locals' use - Deutschland is not a difficult word in any language. Place names are of course written in a variety of characters and alphabets, but where they are translated into a different alphabet this should be done phonetically so the sound of the word stays true, not just given a different name.

Oh, back on topic I'm from England, born in Surrey (South East of the country) live in London, but an internationalist and citizen of the world.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.